Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Hairdresser

Almost finished!
'The Hairdresser'

I've loved working on this piece, it's one I've had in my mind for a while. It's not as decorative and fun as I would like just yet but I like the faces and background. The suggestion of who these people might be and what might occur during this intimate moment.


The beginning (below)
coming up with the skin tones and shapes of the figures on the canvas in relation to each other.
As you can see the hairdresser's elbows are up more in the original sketch but I lowered them due to the height/comfort levels of the hairdresser.


The features of the hairdresser was the most important aspect of this image for me. I wanted to portray a particular character, someone who had a ready smile but was serious in this moment - contemplating ...

This took the most time - as well as getting the finger positioning correct. Finding the right colour and shade to put them forward. I want them to remain soft but controlling.





No comments: